The 7th Floor accepts between two and four readers each year, who start in both the May and September Bar Practice Courses run by the NSW Bar Association.
We provide our readers with the support essential to establishing a successful career at the Bar, including:
- Accommodation for the first 12 months at the Bar (with no charges for either rent or floor fees). There are two readers’ rooms on the main floor and further rooms in our annex in Lockhart Chambers, which is physically connected to the Wentworth & Selborne Chambers building. Readers usually start their year on the main floor.
- A tutor from among our senior junior barristers.
- Civil reading with barristers from the 7th Floor.
- Immediate opportunities to run cases, cross-examine and argue legal submissions through the 7th Floor’s unique relationship with the Marrickville Legal Centre.
- Participation in the 7th Floor’s social events, in-house CPD/CLE programs, and marketing activities.
- Practice management support from our experienced Clerk and chambers staff.
Following their reading year, our readers are typically offered annual licenses to remain part of the 7th Floor in our annex.
The 7th Floor is committed to equality of opportunity, and all applications will be assessed on their merits. Applications from candidates who are working or studying abroad are welcomed (interviews by telephone or video-link will be arranged).