Michael D Wyles QC (VIC)
Michael joined 7 Wentworth Selborne as an associate member of the then 7 Selborne in 2012. He is a member of Foley’s List in Melbourne, www.foleys.com.au.
Michael has extensive trial experience in the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Federal Court of Australia (Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth), the Supreme Court of New South Wales, and the Supreme Court of South Australia.
In addition Michael has substantial appellate experience having appeared in the High Court, the Full Court of the Federal Court of Australia and the Court of Appeal in Victoria.
Michael has now appeared at first instance and on appeal in more than approximately 170 cases in which judgment has been delivered.
This experience in court has facilitated Michael achieving both a thorough working knowledge of the Uniform Evidence Act, as well as the common law rules of evidence. Importantly for his clients, this experience provides Michael with a good understanding of the issues which both trial judges and judges sitting on appeal want counsel to deal with.
Whilst in no sense pretending to be exhaustive it is to be noted that Michael has been instructed in:
– Commercial matters (including restrictive trade practices – Part IV of the TPA: Cadbury’s claim against Amcor for damages which it suffered at the hands of the cardboard box cartel, the first claim in Australia for such damages);
– Equity matters (including Barnes v Addy claims);
– Common law commercial claims (contract, negligence, professional negligence and insurance law claims);
– Defences to civil penalty prosecutions brought by Commonwealth agencies such as ASIC, the ACCC and Comcare;
– Public law and constitutional matters.